Welcome! Please Login or Sign Up.

Internal or External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by charith33, Sep 14, 2015.


  1. Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2020
    Posts:
    16
    Likes:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    External as backup
     
  2. Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Posts:
    30
    Likes:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I just built a network attached storage (nas). I sync the contents daily to a Google cloud account. On my local network I can access the files and use a ftp to access away from home.

    Best solution is to have internal based storage with a redundant cloud based storage.
     
  3. Newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2021
    Posts:
    12
    Likes:
    59
    Trophy Points:
    3
    I prefer an external USB but I usually have another one backed up with music just in case it crashes.
     
  4. Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2021
    Posts:
    18
    Likes:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Internal or External go SSD ... 16x faster depending what you buy.
     
  5. Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    Posts:
    21
    Likes:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Internal SSD is the way to go. Specifically Samsung EVO's are the fastest.
     
  6. ree
    ree

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Posts:
    17
    Likes:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    I think SSD is the way to go. I would use a SSD as the main drive and one as an external backup. Just for extra safety i also will back it up to cloud storage.
     
  7. Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Posts:
    21
    Likes:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    I'd say external. You can have multiple backups and move from computer to computer with ease.
     
  8. Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    Posts:
    27
    Likes:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Any latency?
     
  9. Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2022
    Posts:
    17
    Likes:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Speaking of drives, does anyone know how to recovery a drive that a computer doesn't even recognize?
     
  10. Newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2022
    Posts:
    7
    Likes:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Internal because of the speed
     
  11. Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2022
    Posts:
    120
    Likes:
    591
    Trophy Points:
    21
    Me, It'll be an external. Here's a few reasons why:

    - If you run DJ software, or an app that takes a lot of space, you can have your music on an external, meaning that it won't be taking the space on your internal, so you won't sacrifice music for an app.
    - They're portable
    - You can have multiple backups like CertifyQuality said
    - You can have a bigger music library (if you collect music/DJ)
    - Externals come in different sizes and storage

    Note: If you're planning to buy an external hard drive, see if you can afford an SSD since they have a longer life span than a regular hard drive, a faster booting time and they perform better than an HDD's (Hard Drives). Hopefully this helps.
     
  12. Veg
    Veg

    VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2023
    Posts:
    24
    Likes:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    External HD as of now as I purchased a used Macbook Pro to get started. For future may look to purchase no system and have both then.
     
  13. Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    Posts:
    125
    Likes:
    722
    Trophy Points:
    21
    If you're on the go I'd recommend a LaCie drive as they're rugged and can take a few drops here n there.

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lacie-...d-drive-orange-silver/6299877.p?skuId=6299877

    If you're just storing at home and don't mind a bulky drive I'd go for a My Book or Easy Store

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605510.p?skuId=5605510
     
    Ameer_13 likes this.
  14. Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Posts:
    45
    Likes:
    140
    Trophy Points:
    6
    i use my internal, but have two externals for back up in case one crashes.

    i prefer internal because if you get an artist coming to perform, you have a free USB slot to connect a USB drive to get their music
     
  15. Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2011
    Posts:
    21
    Likes:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Solid state internal drive is the only way to go from now
     

Share This Page